It is with great pleasure that we announce that applications are now open for membership of the Scouts Australia National Youth Council. The appointment period will be from March 2017.
The National Youth Council provides advice and recommendations directly to National Committees and Councils on a range of issues that affect young people in Scouting.
The Council comprises a total of twenty-five youth members selected to represent a cross section of Scouting in Australia. There is representation from the Scout, Venturer and Rover sections, as well as Young Leaders. Each branch (or state) of Scouts Australia is also represented.
Most importantly, you will have the opportunity to meet motivated youth members from every state of Australia and work with the National Team including the Chief Commissioner of Australia, and develop personal skills in a wide range of areas.
Basic Membership Requirements for the NYC
- You must be a registered member of Scouts Australia through your home State/Branch.
- You must be aged between 13 years and 23 years (inclusive) at the time of your appointment (March 1).
- You must have regular, reliable computer and internet access and be able to attend and contribute to monthly online meetings. Meetings are normally held via Google Hangout/Skype/Go-to-meeting, and we make extensive use of Trello, Google Drive, SurveyMonkey, and other Scouts Australia online resources. Don’t worry if you’ve never used these before, we’ll train you.
- You must be available to attend two conferences held on a weekend in Autumn and Spring. (The cost is covered by Scouts Australia).
- Your application will be sent to your Branch Chief Commissioner for checking and approval.
- You will also be expected to attend and contribute to monthly meetings online as part of a patrol, considering a range of topics and issues presented to you for input.
- It is expected that to properly represent your fellow Scouts, you set aside some time to research and find out about a topic that your Patrol is discussing, in between meetings.
Appointments take effect from the Training Conference held in Autumn. Your appointment is continually reviewed.
The selection process
- Applications open – now!
- Heaps of amazing applications are received!
- Applications close – 24th December.
- The selection panel (NYCE and 2 x NYC vice-chair’s) meet to short list applications – January.
- Applicants notified of outcome of there application – late January.
Got a question?
If you have questions about the Council, applying or anything else, feel free to contact the National Commissioner Youth Empowerment, Elodie, by email to NCYE@scouts.com.au or phone on 048 8497 737.
Applications close MIDNIGHT Sunday 24nd December 2016read more